Preamble – Venturing Code
As a Venturer, I believe that America’s strength lies in our trust in God and in the courage, strength, and traditions of our people.
I will, therefore, be faithful in my religious duties and will maintain a personal sense of honor in my own life.
I will treasure my American heritage and will do all I can to preserve and enrich it.
I will recognize the dignity and worth of all humanity and will use fair play and goodwill in my daily life.
I will acquire the Venturing attitude that seeks the truth in all things and adventure on the frontiers of our changing world.
- High Adventure
- Youth Leadership
Membership shall be open to all young adults who live in the surrounding area who are 14 - 21 or have completed the eighth grade and are at least 13 years of age. No prospective member shall be disqualified because of race, color, creed, or sex. All members must be registered as Venturers and agree to the crew code and bylaws.
- The elected officers shall be president, vice president of administration, vice president of program, secretary, treasurer, historian, quartermaster, and guide. The president, with the approval of the Advisor, shall appoint activity chairs and make other assignments as needed. The duties of the officers shall be as prescribed in the Venturing Leader Manual.
- To be eligible to run for an officer position, the candidate must be an active member in the Crew for the preceeding 6 months.
- The normal term of office for all elected officers shall be for one year starting in August. In addition, elected officers will be expected to serve as past-president, past-VP, past secretary, past-treasurer, past-historian, past-quartermaster, and past-guide to assist in the training of our new slate of officers for ½ of the new term. These positions can be held concurrent with other officer positions.
- On the night of the election, nomination may be presented from the floor by any member. If the nomination is seconded and the candidate agrees to serve, he or she must be included on the ballot.
- All contested ballots shall be secret.
- If, by unanimous vote of the remaining officers, any Crew Officer is deemed unfit to continue holding his/her office, they may be replaced by special election.
Crew business will be conducted under the principles outlined in Robert’s Rules of Order. Voting on all issues will be by simple majority, with the exception of changes or amendments to the bylaws, which will require two-thirds vote of the total membership. A quorum shall consist of one or more of the majority of members for votes on routine business.
General meetings will be held every Thursday, excepting announced school holidays.
Officer’s meetings will be held at least twice a year at a time and place different from the regular crew meetings. These meetings will be held at any given time between March and August and at any given time between September and February.
The crew will publish a newsletter monthly, which shall include all meeting dates and other information of interest to the membership. The newsletter will serve as the historical record of the crew. The newsletter will be written by a delegated person for a term of one year.
Annual dues will be the cost of registration/recharter with BSA plus cost for a crew shirt, if needed.
All money-earning projects must be approved by a majority vote of crew members. Members who do not participate in a project are not entitled to any benefits of the funds earned. All money-earning projects must be approved by the Advisor and meet Boy Scouts of America requirements.
We have a strict zero tolerance policy on drugs, alcohol, and sexual behavior. Anyone found in violation on an outing will immediately be sent home by the nearest available mode of safe transportation at their expense.
A Venturer that doesn’t attend a meeting for three consecutive months without being excused ahead of time by the crew president, shall be considered “inactive”. A Venturer must be “active” to participate in trips.
Approved by majority vote of the Crew, November 4 2010, Amended August 18, 2011.